Thursday, June 19, 2014

Time to Read Tuesday - Wuthering Heights

Time to Read Tuesday

Yup, still two days instead of one day behind. Oh well.  The delay this time was finishing my current summer book, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (published 1847).

Big, hardcover wordy book.  I look shmart.
It is almost impossible to summarize this book, since it was over 200 pages of "Why is everyone putting up with this guy?"  or "Wait, who's the narrator again?"  This may also be because I haven't had to write a book summary since 2002.  Regardless, I loved it so I will try.

No seriously, someone tell me how to rotate my photos in Blogger and I'll give you a cookie. 
The book opens from the point of view of Mr. Lockwood in 1801. He is the renter at Thrushcross Grange, and wants to know more about the mysterious owner living at Wuthering Heights, Mr. Heathcliff. The majority of the book is then told through the housekeeper Nelly's eyes, as she gives an account of Mr. Heathcliff and how he turned upside-down the lives of the two families that occupied both properties.  What follows is a dramatic tale of obsession and revenge that spans two generations.

I could not put this book down, as the action and character development kept me guessing.  I was annoyed and intrigued at the same time, wondering how the characters would find contentment and happiness in the end. I also loved reading about the wild landscape of the moors that lie between the two homes.

I picked this book because back when I was reading Twilight, Bella makes several references to her relationship with Edward being like that of Catherine and Heathcliff.  If she means that Edward was super controlling and manipulative, then yes. If she meant that she was passionate and beautiful and energetic as Catherine, then that is a giant no. While Catherine and Bella both had to choose between two suitors, it is a great disservice to Catherine to equate Bella's awkward shyness with Catherine's vibrant magnetism. But, you know, hooray for Bella recommending good literature. (Also, someone else has blogged about this HERE.)

Confession:  I had to use SparkNotes to keep track of all the details in the action. The switching of lovers and marriages and the family tree made me wish I was slightly smarter, but I'm chalking it up to summer brain.  SparkNotes pointed out the use of pairs and opposites as symbolism throughout (two properties, two families, two generations), which helped center the action better for me as the reader.

I would highly recommend this book if you want something to stretch your brain, while giving you the same passion of a romance novel. And if you like literature about 1800 England. And interwoven family trees. Good times.

Who is your favorite Wuthering Heights character and why?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment